Tiara Joy

My photo
Mukilteo, WA, United States
I'm a mid-late twenties female that's just trying to get my life going in the right direction in all aspects. This blog will follow me thru all my thoughts no matter how silly, serious, funny or sad.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Yummy Yummy dinner!

This is what I do when I have an evening to myself.

I create delicious meals that are enough for two but meant for one.

That means if someone shows up I could share but if they don't show, oh man, then I get to eat it ALL!
This particular dish was very easy and very fast, all together about 20 minutes or so.

I'm not very good at writing down my recipes and in all reality I probably never will be good at it.

For this dinner I only had to spend about $20 at the store and it fed me twice that night as well as lunch the next day. I adapted it from another blog I love- http://www.autumnwades.blogspot.com/

Ingredients needed-
  • Salmon- how ever much you want to eat! I cooked two 6oz fillets
  • broccoli head- seperated into smaller pieces
  • grape or cherry tomatoes- a small pint or little flat works fine
  • 4-6 Mushrooms- totally optional and sliced
  • 1 shallot- minced
  • 4 cloves garlic-minced
  • noodles- whole grain rotini works great
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 Lemons
  • Basil
  • Sourdough baguette
    • I also used some italian herb paste I happened to have in my fridge. You can buy it in the produce isle in a little tube.
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F for your salmon and start a pot of water for your noodles. Season salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper, and whatever else you enjoy. (I think I added a sprinkle of garlic powder and a sprinkle of dried dill as well). Next, place salmon, skin side down, in a baking dish lined in foil and then place a few tabs of butter, then basil, then lemon slices on top of the salmon ( I also added a quick splash of white wine into the pan with the fish). Bake 15-20 minutes depending on thickness.
  2. While Salmon is baking and water is starting to boil, heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium to large size pan on medium high heat. Add shallots, garlic and mushrooms and stir around until mushrooms start to get soft. Add in tomatoes, turn heat to med-low and cover until tomatoes look ready to burst.  The tomatoes will act as your sauce when they start to burst and get stirred together with everything else.
  3. Throw pasta in the salted boiling water and cook to al dente. While that is simmering, slice a few thin slices of bread and coat in olive oil, set aside.
  4. Check on tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, italian herbs of your choosing. I squeezed lemon juice in and added a few tablespoons of white wine as well.
  5. When noodles are done, use a slotted spoon to transfer directly to the pan with your tomatoes. Use the pasta water to quickly blanch your broccoli until it turns bright green and then add the broccoli to the pan with your noodles. Stir it all together and then add thinly sliced strips of basil. Taste and season more if needed.
  6. Grab another pan and place 2 tbsp butter in the pan w/ a tiny bit of olive oil and melt together with a few thin slices of garlic. Place your bread on top of the garlic slices and toast in the skillet. Flip and toast the other side as well.
  7. Your salmon should be done now so plate it up and serve with some delish wine and some good convo!
This is totally basic and can be changed to almost any season of the year. In the spring and summer you can add green beans and zukes, winter you can add squashes, would be great with sundried tomatoes and olives. Make it your own and taste it as you go. I change everything everytime I make something just so I can learn what I like most.

Let me know what you guys think if you try it out! I made this about 2 weeks ago and tried to just remember what I did. LOL. Next time I will do better and write it all down while doing it and try to be more organized in writing it out for you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment